Time and Place
People have been worshipping at St. Mary’s for over 1000 years and during that time the church has been rebuilt, enlarged, decorated and adorned in response to the changing demands of different centuries. Social and political upheaval, variations in the population, economic factors and not least the influence of the great families which held the manor of Lydiard Tregoze, have all played their part.
Since the church and house were first constructed either side of what was once the village street and public thoroughfare, their histories have been intertwined. From 1280 to 1944 the owners of Lydiard had the right of patronage. Until 1830 the parsonage stood close to the churchyard wall and together these three buildings represented the power base in the parish.
St. Mary’s Church is indebted to the late Canon Brian Carne for his scholarly research that informs this text. For detailed information please refer to the Reports of the Friends of Lydiard Tregoz.